Tuesday, January 28, 2014

You're Not Always Right

"Mom, did you know Georgia is one of the coldest places on Earth?"

Hmmm....I did not know that.  In fact, I know nothing like that. "Well, Buddy, that's not really true.  Georgia is in the southern United States, and there are lots of places colder than that."

"I'm not talking about that."

And now he's annoyed.  As he often is when he is corrected.  Like many of us, he likes to be right more than wrong.  But I don't want the seeds of "know-it-all" to bloom in his personality, so even though it isn't fun, I do point out when he's wrong.  Sometimes.  When I have the energy.

"Let's look at the globe, Buddy."

(He got a globe for Christmas and both of us still think it's great fun to pull it out for anything we can think of.)

"This is Georgia, here in the United States. It isn't one of those icy places like Antarctica or the Arctic, which are much colder."

"It's not that Georgia, Mom!  It's a cold Georgia. You don't know what you are saying.  You are just confused."

Sheesh.  I'm pretty sure I know that Georgia is not as cold as the Arctic.  And then a lightbulb goes off in my head....."Do you mean the Georgia that is a country near Russia?  That might be a cold Georgia,"  and we find it on the globe, but still he is unsatisfied. And frustrated.  And a little miffy that his mom is so dense that she can't concede that Georgia is one of the coldest places on Earth.  I'm a little down that he has such an unteachable attitude.  That he's kinda stubborn.  That he thinks he has to be the expert about EVERYthing.  But we let it go because what's the point of arguing?

This morning Landon was finishing watching a documentary called "Frozen Planet." We've been studying the Arctic, so I thought it was a nice tie-in.  When I walked in I heard the narrator say, "Winds in South Georgia can get up to one hundred and thirty miles an hour."  South Georgia?!

I sneak out and get his globe.  I scan the top.  I search the bottom.  Yep, there it is, an island near Antarctica called South Georgia.

One of the coldest places on Earth.

Well, since we're talking about cold things, can I have my Humble Pie a la mode?  

No comments:

Post a Comment