Friday, March 1, 2013

Smiles

"I've heard they say that true bonding begins when your baby smiles."  My friend said this at Micah's baby shower and it was like she just programmed my psychological gps, "Bonding: straight ahead in 3-4 weeks.  If you get to laughter you have gone 2 weeks too far."  It's nice to have a map for this kind of thing.  Especially if you feel a little lost and wonder if you missed a turn to Bonding somewhere along the way.

Today I can tell we are getting close.
To the smiling.
And thus, truer bonding.

Micah's smiles are like trying to watch a hummingbird land.  Did I just see that?
Micah's smiles are like a shy boy who isn't sure if anyone else thinks he's funny.  Just a flicker of one, gone before the eyes crinkle.
Micah's smiles are like a dog wagging his tail while he sleeps, involuntary and endearing.
Micah's smiles are a prelude to the real sweetness: like shellacked desserts on the tray are interesting, but the real deal is indescribably better.
Micah's smiles are like the song of the icecream truck, just as it turns a corner far away and is out of earshot again.

But we know he's coming around.
In the meantime, I think I'm getting a little hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment