Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Resonance of Children's Books

Do we all have one?  A children's book from our childhood that holds a special place in our memories.  Something semi-iconic (if only to us alone?)

I'm curious about this. I'm wondering if everyone has such a book.

I have a few.  And snippets of them come back to me at such random times, it is like their memory is woven through several layers in my brain.

Hello.
Hello.
Do you like my hat?
I do not.
Good-by.
Good-by.


Puppies Are Like That
Frog and Toad
A book on colors whose title still escapes me
I Can Read
a book about a spider named Helen who lived in a zoo...Be Nice to Spiders (pity, the advice didn't stick)
Are You my Mother?

What are yours?

I'd love to know!

4 comments:

  1. I also loved Frog and Toad! And I had the books and records for the Frances books (Bread and Jam for Frances)

    Jam for breakfast
    Jam at noon
    Jam at night
    by the light of the moon.

    I know how a jam jar feels...
    full of jam!

    I always liked nursery rhymes too. And several Little Golden Book stories.

    Stories like Hansel & Gretel, The Ugly Duckling, The Little Engine That Could, Little Red Riding Hood - those all stick out in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there's more! Like popcorn, they keep popping into my brain! Goldilocks and the Three Bears, The Little Red Hen, and other motivational/ethical books that I'm sure my mom reminded me of during the day!

      Delete
  2. What an intriguing question...

    When my marriage was imploding, my counselor suggested that I get a copy of my favorite kid's book from my childhood. With the treasure, I was encouraged to snuggle into bed by 9 and just read until I fell asleep. It worked wonders at a time when I did not allow myself to slumber. The practice temporarily eradicated the lies, worries, visions and sadness that the enemy wanted me to believe. So, my favorite books are not due to childhood memories as much as due to the reprieve and relief they offered.

    Little Women & Harriet the Spy will always hold a special place in my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Women and Harriet are BOTH books that had huge resonance with me in childhood! (Our literary paths just keep overlapping--love that!)

      Delete