Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sleep and Caffeine: A Surprise and a Smile

I woke up this morning in a hospital.
It wasn't a surprise, really.  But it was.
Because it was 8:00 am and I was waking up for the first time after shutting down the laptop and signing off from my last post.

The post in which I shared how I was dreading the long night.

I woke up disoriented because the "long night" passed me by while I slept sounder than I would have thought possible.

They came and blew vapors in Landon's face, pounded on his chest, administered drugs, and did all the things that kept me up the first night, without my ever knowing. 

Sleep is a gift.  It can add a lot to my reserves of patience.  With it, I can keep on truckin' down the road for a few more miles.  Bumpy miles, though they are.

There was another surprise waiting for me when I woke up.  A chai latte from Bill who said, "I thought you might like this. I thought about getting you a muffin, but wasn't sure."

"Oh, you read my blog. How sweet. Thanks."

The amazing thing is, he hadn't read either post (this or this one.)  He didn't know what I was talking about.

A good night's sleep.  A best friend who still does things just to make me happy.  A hot chai as soon as I opened my eyes this morning.  I have a lot to be grateful for.

But the gift I'm most grateful for is that none of us are going to bed in a hospital.  I'm grateful that this post isn't titled "Day 3."  We are home again.  Landon still has a ways to go to recover, but we are home.

No comments:

Post a Comment